Monday, February 4, 2008

Decant Recant

I would like to partially recant my previous post about the lack of literary inspiration within a rural context--namely, Indiana. A dear friend of mine recently pointed out that good ol' Thoreau, may he rest in eternal and Waldenesque peace, lived in seclusion next to some pond for a while. Apparently he liked it and had a lot to write about it: all the "I did not wish to live anything that was not life" stuff. I guess my problem with writing in Indiana was not environmental, but rather lack of substantive literary skill and creativity.
So there, Rachel--I hope that to be adequate penance for my slander against your homestate. Notice that I did not write that Indiana provides superior writing material, only sufficient. I still maintain that cities, because of their diversity, present more bounteous inspirations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll take what I can get. That was a very mature response from you ;)