Tuesday, August 5, 2008

nothing of note

The past few days I've gotten onto my blog determined to post something new, only to realize that I have nothing in particular to talk about, other than the fact that my Mom and older sister read my blog now. This is a good thing because they are providing me with stable, loyal readership. But this is also potentially a sensitive thing because I would rather not admit all of my imperfections or describe any offensive behavior in writing for them to produce later to my own detriment. Who knows. (And, I'm sure, you don't care.)
Although I'm tired and don't have any new material, I might as well generate another fascinating list for you all to consume. With my rather indolent addiction to composing lists instead of essays, I should probably rename my blog or at least feature a sub-title that pays homage to these ridiculous collections of random fact.

7 quirkiest happenings of late

1. While at the DMV, my application for an IL driver's license was marked with an astigmatism restriction and a desire to be an organ donor, both of which I do not possess. I was fortunate enough to correct the vision mistake, but not the one regarding the use of my organs. After 1 1/2 hours of standing in DMV lines, I decided not to get back in line and to let the chips fall where they may in regard to my organs. Shoot.

2. While in a predominantly African-American neighborhood just West of Wicker Park, a young man threw a piece of fruit at my car as I made a left-hand turn. He was successful in his endeavor to hit it.

3. I am reconsidering my political affiliations.

4. Today, after a snack of toast at the family home of the children whom I babysit, I left nearly half a loaf of Wonderbread on the counter. While I was out of the house, the family dog obtained the bread, shredded the bag, and consumed its contents. I later learned that this was the second loaf of bread he had stolen in that week alone. May the god of dogs have mercy upon his digestive tract.

5. I drank a beer with my grandparents. That's right. My grandparents.

6. Due to the entertainment needs of Bryce and Angelica, I have now adopted a new persona/identity that is known to them as "monkeyman." The monkeyman has yet to be seen by anyone older than 8.

7. I am developing a killer impression of Daniel Plainview in the final scene of There Will Be Blood, sans drool and vodka. "I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!" It is probably the only attention-getting thing I know to do at social gatherings. I need to foster a greater sense of inhibition and dignity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I miss you. I should probably call you or something. Second of all, maybe God's telling you something with the organ donation mix-up. Really now, you won't need them. Thirdly, I finally saw "There Will Be Blood". I don't think I want that soundtrack. It was very good and I would love to see your impersonation of the milkshake scene, minus the blood. Of course, I just really want to see you (see first point). I hope you are doing well. It seems like things are just going smoothly for you. Fourthly, I like reading your blog, especially the lists. And lastly, I really miss you. We need to talk. Love you.

Anonymous said...

i would like to confirm that Elizabeth does indeed do a kick-ass impersonation of Daniel Plainview,. Last weekend, while at a party, I asked her to do the impersonation for two people who had not yet seen the movie, so the superb nuances Elizabeth brought to the scene she re-created were totally lost on those people, but they will appreciate it when they see the movie. (i hope). As for me, I find that I ask Elizabeth to do the impersonation just about every time I see her....