Saturday, August 23, 2008

bookies anonymous


There are two factors that have influenced the number of books that I have read over the last six months. First of all, while I've always enjoyed reading, college didn't really leave me much time to pick up books of my choosing. Even on the rare week that it did, I was tired of reading for class and going back to the library, just for fun, wasn't all that appealing to me. But I slowly accumulated lists of books that I wanted to read once I had the time and the space in my head. Along comes graduation, and I find not only hours here and there to read, but also an intense desire to continue improving my lil' ol' brain.

Secondly, the novelty of my commute on the CTA has worn off. For the first few months, I never brought books with me. I was happy listening to my iPod, looking out the window, watching people, and thinking about life in the abstract. During this period of time, I felt that using public transportation provides enormous potential for fulfilling reflection and even solitude. Even though I still feel this is true, I find I don't have a need for 2 1/2 hours of reflection and solitude every day (the total time I spend in my round-trip commute). Really. I don't. When I started to get bored with my iPod and people watching, I brought along books. Suddenly, I have a 2 1/2 hour block of time that I can use to read. This is a beautiful thing.

So, because of my post-college motivation and the time afforded by my commuting hours, I've gotten to read some great books. If you're looking for a good read, consider one of my ten suggested books that I've read since moving to Chicago. I'm including the first five in this post, the final five in the next. They're in no particular order; don't assume any hierarchy in their placement on the list. After the title, I include both the book's genre and its mood--or, the ideal attitude and desires of the reader as he or she completes the book. Optimistic readers looking for light, humorous fare shouldn't select The Lovely Bones, for example. Incongruities between the book's purposes and style and the reader's mood at the particular time can translate into dissatisfaction of the latter with the former for no other reason than timing. I would hate for anyone to put down a great book and never pick it up again because it didn't compliment the individual's particular reading needs at the time.

1. Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? by Beverly Tatum (Social Science; Detailed, intensive, thought-provoking--not a book that may be consumed quickly): If you're interested in the formation of racial identity, racial tensions, and the complexity of personal and institutional relationships between blacks and whites in post-civil rights movement America, Dr. Tatum's book is an essential and foundational read. She combines her scientific knowledge as a psychologist with her experiences leading racial identity and reconciliation classes; the narratives of some of her students are compelling and the best illustration of the information she presents theoretically.

2. Dubliners by James Joyce (Short Story fiction; brief, unresolved, modern, dramatic, relational, romantic, and literary goodness): The presiding theme of this collection is paralysis, and while Joyce certainly pulls you into the psychological states of these impotent characters, the beauty of the language and the characters' bittersweet reckoning with what is and what could have been won't leave you depressed. His final story, "The Dead," is absolutely magnificent.

3. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (Fiction; tragic, suspenseful, intense, and all-absorbing read): Although this novel may certainly be a fast read--I completed it in a day--it's not a light one. Sebold vividly describes the rape and murder of a young girl, the grieving processes of her family members as they attempt to reorder their lives after her death, and the girl's own thoughts as she watches from heaven while her family struggles. A rape victim herself, Sebold is brutally realistic about the possibility of achieving justice or normalcy after such a senseless act.

4. The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (Non-fiction; mysterious, historical, easy reading with its journalistic prose): Between its details on the 1894 Chicago World's Fair and the horrific psychopath that haunted it, Larson's book is a 20/20 murder special and History Channel documentary combined. What Daniel Burnham and the city of Chicago achieved at the turn of the century with their creation of the White City is fascinating enough; the Devil lurking in his hotel nearby their triumph makes the book difficult to put down. Dr. H.H. Holmes, the unremorseful serial killer and con artist, was little known prior to the publication of this book, but his perversion easily matches that of any modern murderers. It is a necessary read for Chicagoans and any who appreciate accounts of good ol' American innovation, determination, and calculated homicide.

5. God's Politics by Jim Wallis (Current issues and Religion; intense political and religious fare in straightforward language): As I mentioned previously, Wallis' book doesn't entirely fulfill the bipartisan promises on its cover. Wallis does a better job of articulating the perspectives and priorities of Christian progressives than he does question the Democratic party that he is so obviously a part of. However, if you're a dissatisfied conservative, or a member of the Religious Right who would like to understand the Religious Left, I would highly recommend this book. Afraid of adopting any liberal ideologies? Mix with equal parts of Rush Limbaugh.

No comments: