Wednesday, May 7, 2008

untitled

I have determined that this post will be the locale for very brief revelations/observations/events from my everday life. Enjoy/Loathe:

-After a particularly shitty day, a little bit of gospel music goes a long way.

-I now feel comfortable labeling myself as a writer, a pianist, and a singer. This is a relatively new development. Prior to two or three months ago I would say, "I sing sometimes," or "I like writing things down," or "I used to take piano lessons and I still enjoy sitting down to the instrument." Label it as negligible semantics, but I feel that this transition is significant.

-Although I rarely crossed words with boys, other than male professors, in college, and almost NEVER in the library, two men have now given me their numbers in two different libraries. I might as well keep a running tally.

-Last week I started keeping lists of places I want to visit in the city--these are mostly restaurants, clubs, and boutiques, but I'm open to suggestions for museums, etc. Top on my list right now: Kingston Mines and Fifty/50. There aren't enough weekends in the year.

-I sang two songs from Les Miserables at a piano bar this past weekend. I'm quite shy about singing, but I actually had a good time doing it.

-Between contacting CSO donors and observing on the train, I'm beginning to mentally chart the progression from college boy to committed professional man. It starts with the clothes, the large watch, continues with the adoption of an assuming air, self-assured voice, and concludes with a month long pass on the Metra and frightening hoarding of time, typically expressed by gesture, facial expression, or verbal protest, "I'm a very busy man. I'm always very busy." If a man is so unfortunate as to reach this last level, all around him, indeed, even his family, feel guilty for stealing even five minutes of his golden, precious time. As much as I don't mind men with style, I wish I could tell some of them to return the Italian leather shoes, wrist bling, and Jack Spade bags...give it to charity and learn to waste your time.

2 comments:

Mkcon said...

Some other places worthy of a visit:

Redhead Piano Bar--sit around the piano and have a drink. Join my friend Gene Garcia on select Friday nights and hear everything from Gershwin, Elton John, Billy Joel, John Mayer and a host of other artists.

Heaven on Seven--best Cajun food outside of New Orleans. 111 N. Wabash in the Loop and also a location on Rush Street.

Hat Dance--great Mexican food--325 West Huron

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,

I love the insight into you. And I also love that we have such similar interests. Singing, playing the piano, reading, writing, etc. We should have been in school at the same time.

Have a lovely week.