Monday, January 7, 2008

Juno

Somewhere between feminine sentimentality and Borders I managed to imagine myself writing a blog. On Saturday night, I went to see Juno, and found myself wiping away the pool of tears that had settled into the crevice of my neck during the conclusion of the film. Good movies usually make me feel a sense of the sublime once they're finished; I breathe softly and regard my fellow movie-goers with a soft focus lens as we emerge from the dark theater. The most logical thing to do after such an experience is, of course, to visit a bookstore. On the walk there, I began to compose a few sentences in my head on the complexity of humanness that such a film inspires--composing as only pretentious college students who listen to Damien Rice and have no responsibility can. I sometimes engage in these mental exercises, when my brain isn't occupied by thoughts of lunch, the outfit I'm wearing, or how behind I am in my daily schedule. Wandering through the literature section at Borders only fed this reflective mood, (although I must admit that I took a break by reading a Conan O'Brien monologue in a book on one of those sale tables). I looked at novels by Fitzgerald, McCullers, Updike, and Alvarez, but bought none, as I seem not to have money for such things now. I thought about returning to my apartment to make an entry in my journal in Word, or write a poem in my notebook. But then, (and this, if you pay close attention, is the segue to the decision to blog), I was overcome with that irresistible, 21st century longing for semi-public self-exposure--hence, the blog.
Don't worry, I decided at the bookstore not to divulge anything truly juicy. I simply plan to jot down some observations, thoughts on life, and any brilliant sentences that come to me after watching good movies. Now, instead of wasting time on the internet looking at pictures of friends of friends of friends on Facebook, I will waste time on the internet on this blog. Goodie. Perhaps it will be slightly more fruitful than my Facebook experiences.* I look forward to many posts, both good and bad, read and unread. Hopefully I will not decide that somewhere in between masculine emotional cluelessness and busyness that I no longer want to write here.






*Gosh, don't people know that when you list "Friendship" on your profile, you actually mean that you are a nice single girl who isn't flirty or forward?

No comments: